What to Do After A Car Accident With An Uninsured Driver

What to Do After A Car Accident With An Uninsured DriverThe state of Missouri requires all drivers to obtain auto insurance. But, many drivers in this state choose not to comply with this legal requirement. This means you could be involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver at some point in your life. Here’s what to do if it happens to you:

Gather Evidence

It’s best to gather evidence before leaving the scene of the accident. Take pictures of the damage, the positioning of the vehicles, traffic signs or lights, and anything else that seems relevant. Exchange contact information with the other driver, and if there were witnesses, ask for their information as well.

Seek Medical Attention

Visit a hospital or doctor’s office shortly after leaving the scene of the accident—even if your injuries do not seem serious. Some symptoms can take hours or days to appear, so your injuries will have worsened by the time you notice them. Don’t take this chance—seek medical attention right away to protect yourself.

File An Accident Report

Drivers are required to report crashes with the Driver License Bureauif an uninsured motorist was involved and the accident either injured or killed someone or caused more than $500 in damages. Fill out the appropriate forms as soon as possible after the injury so you do not forget to fulfill this legal obligation.

File A Car Accident Claim

Car accident victims usually file claims with the at-fault party’s insurance company in order to recover compensation for their injuries and property damage. But, what if the other driver did not have insurance?

In Missouri, drivers are required to have uninsured motorist coverage, which applies in claims involving an uninsured driver. This coverage protects you in the event you or your passengers are injured as a result of an uninsured driver’s negligence. After a car accident with an uninsured driver, you will need to take advantage of this coverage and file a claim with your insurance company.

It’s your insurance company that is handling the claim, but that does not mean they are looking out for your best interests. The insurer will look for every opportunity to reduce or deny your claim so they don’t have to write you a check for your injuries. Don’t let this happen—let a personal injury attorney handle the claims process on your behalf.

Have you been injured by an uninsured driver? If so, The Missouri DWI & Criminal Law Center at the Benjamin Law Firm, LLCcan help. Let our personal injury attorneys aggressively negotiate with your insurance company to secure the compensation you deserve. Call our office at 816-322-8008, email us at info@benjaminlawkc.com or fill out our confidential online form to schedule a consultation today.

Write a Reply or Comment